One Step Pregnancy Test – How Does It Work?
Getting pregnant can be so overwhelming that is why choosing the right pregnancy test is so essential. There are so many options to choose from, so the decision process might be time consuming. By understanding how each test works, the effectiveness and the ability to produce results on time then you can buy a pregnancy test with the most extreme certainty.
The word one step pregnancy test literally means it is easy to use and it is designed to detect pregnancy as soon as the first day of your missed menstrual period. One step pregnancy test works by detecting the pregnancy hormone known as human chorionic gonadotropin in your urine.
This hormone is produced in your body when you become pregnant but this pregnancy hormone is not produced immediately like you have to wait a few more days after ovulation before you test for pregnancy. The accuracy of a one step pregnancy test is 99 percent.
WHEN TO TAKE A ONE STEP PREGNANCY TEST
If you are planning to conceive or recently had unsafe sex, then one question will keep probing on your mind “am I pregnant”?
One of the most unique and discouraging thing about pregnancy is that no two women experience it the same way. Some women report that a missing period was their first hint of being pregnant.
You will presumably want to know if you have conceived sooner than later so as to receive felicitous prenatal care and put an end to unhealthy habit that might affect the pregnancy. If you find yourself experiencing any of the following symptoms in the first seven to ten days after ovulation or a missed menstrual period, then you should take a one step pregnancy test.
- Fatigue: this is one of the most common signs of pregnancy. Most women feel very tired especially during the first trimester even when they have been sleeping and resting more than usual. This is just your body’s normal reaction to its new state.
- High basal body temperature: basal body temperature is your body’s temperature right after waking up in the morning without doing anything. After the release of the egg during ovulation, the basal body temperature rises in all women due to the presence of progesterone secreted by the ovary. The hormone also causes the preparation of uterine lining for a possible pregnancy. If your temperature rises about a half degree after that of ovulation, then you might be pregnant. You will only notice the temperature using a basal body thermometer.
- Giddiness: this is the process of feeling unsteady as if you are about to fall down due to your blood vessels dilating and blood pressure dropping.
- Spotting: a small amount of blood that is not like your monthly period will be seen. This is known as implantation bleeding and it is due to the embryo reaching the wall of your uterus and attaching itself there.
- Breast tenderness: the increased blood flow to your breasts makes it swollen and painful to touch.
You should note that you might not experience significant pregnancy symptoms before your missed period as most classic pregnancy symptoms do not start until few weeks after conception.
WHY SHOULD YOU TAKE THIS TEST?
The only way to know you are pregnant is by taking a pregnancy test, taking a one step pregnancy test has a lot of advantages such as:
- Bringing about ease because the test can be done in the privacy of your home without anyone’s help.
- Reducing the stress of visiting the doctor every now and then to affirm your pregnancy status.
- Displaying the results in three minutes.
HOW THE ONE STEP PREGNANCY WORK
When a woman conceives, her body produces HCG which appears in the urine. The secretion of this hormone increases throughout the first three months. This one step pregnancy test is a highly sensitive rapid test for the detection of HCG.
The one step pregnancy works like every other pregnancy test, when you wake up in the morning you have to use your first pee to test for pregnancy. You can either pee in a clean disposable cup and dip the absorbent tip of the pregnancy test into the cup for twenty seconds or hold the absorbent tip of the test in your urine stream for five seconds.
Once you have done either of these, lay the pregnancy test on a table with the result window confronting upward. It takes at least three minutes before the result will come up. However, it takes less than that if it is a positive outcome.
HOW TO USE THIS TEST
Waiting for a pregnancy test result be so exhausting as you will be filled with so much eagerness.
A one step pregnancy test can detect the pregnancy hormone from 20mIU/ml and can generate just three results which are:
- The presence of two lines betokens a positive result implying pregnancy.
- One line betokens a negative result meaning you are not pregnant.
- No line or faint lines means a faulty result and this might be due to the test being expired and some other reasons which will be discussed later.
FAINT LINES ON ONE STEP PREGNANCY TEST
Taking a one step pregnancy test is very easy but it becomes confusing noticing faint lines when you are anticipating a positive result. Faint lines on a pregnancy test means there is low concentration of HCG in your urine. The presence of faint lines does not always mean a positive result and some of the reasons why you can get to see faint lines are:
- Testing too early: most women get the urge to check their pregnancy status during the early stage of pregnancy. However, the level of HCG is low and not really detectable during this stage but if the pregnancy test detects a small amount of HCG, faint lines appear.
- Not following instructions clearly: failure to read and follow instructions stated in the pregnancy test kit or reading the test results too early can bring about faint lines.
- Diluted urine: it is always better to use this pregnancy test with highly concentrated urine which you can have in the morning. Using this test in some other time brings about the presence of faint lines because the urine is already diluted and contains less amount of HCG.
- Pregnancy problems: having an ectopic pregnancy or early miscarriage, chemical pregnancy can make you get a false negative result.
- The use of certain medications such as thorazine or fertility drugs bring about the presence of HCG in your body and due to this the test gives a false positive result and the faint lines appear on the pregnancy test.
All you have to do when you get faint lines are:
- Wait for some days: waiting for some days before retesting allows the level of HCG to rise rapidly. The lines appear bold during the next pregnancy test and if it you keep seeing faint lines after series of test then you should probably see a doctor.
- Take new tests: something might be wrong with the one you took, it might be an expired pregnancy test.
You shouldn’t take faint lines for evaporation lines, evaporation lines occur when your urine evaporates from the pregnancy test and are not clearly visible by normal eyes as they appear as a shadow.
There are some conditions that cause HCG to be present in the urine, making you get a positive result when you are actually not pregnant. This is known as a false positive result and can be due to:
- Ovarian cysts
- Chemical pregnancy
- Use of an expired pregnancy test
- Incorrect usage of the test
After your one step pregnancy test, you should do the following based on the results seen:
- Negative result: if you get a negative result, then you should see your menstrual period. You can repeat the one step pregnancy test a week later in the event that you still don’t it.
- Continued negative result: if you get a negative result again and your period does not start. You should visit your doctor as missed period could be a sign of a health disorder such as stress, anxiety or low body weight.
- Positive result: see your doctor for a blood test and ultrasound as the two would affirm your pregnancy. You should begin antenatal care to ensure a healthy and safe pregnancy upon confirmation.
- Mixed results: in the event of getting mixed results with one step pregnancy tests, you should go to a doctor to find out the cause and let him or her suggest an appropriate solution.
One step pregnancy test can be purchased without prescriptions at pharmacies, retail stores and over the internet. When buying online ensure it is from a reputable online retailer and check the expiry date on the box upon delivery. If the pregnancy test is expired, do not open. Instead return to the retailer for a full refund.