Pregnancy is a lovely thing, no doubt. But sometimes the path to pregnancy isn’t always trouble-free. Chemical pregnancies are very common and extremely heartbreaking, learn about them from this article.
A chemical pregnancy is a medical term used to depict a condition in which an early miscarriage has happened. Most of the time, this chemical miscarriage or chemical pregnancy happens within the first five weeks of pregnancy, nearly 50 percent of pregnancy cases experience miscarriages and most of the time it is a case of chemical pregnancy. The term is quite bewildering and women often do not know whether they have been pregnant or not. The truth is that the sperm successfully fertilizes the egg but the egg fails to survive.
The rationale why such a miscarriage is alluded as a chemical pregnancy is because of the time it happens, a chemical pregnancy occurs when a chemical test will be able to detect pregnancy. During such time, an ultrasound or a doctor’s physical examination won’t be able to confirm the pregnancy.
Causes Of Chemical Pregnancy
When an egg is fertilized, it discharges a hormone called HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), this pregnancy hormone in the blood determines how fit the fertilized egg is. As the HCG levels rises it can be detected by a pregnancy test by a urine or blood sample. Nevertheless, if you have a chemical pregnancy, your HCG levels reduces instead of going up which indicates that you have had an early miscarriage.
There is still no medical proof about what leads to chemical pregnancy. In any case, most specialists feel that a chemical pregnancy happens for generally similar reasons that a premature delivery takes place. The main reason behind a miscarriage is abnormalities in the chromosomes of the developing baby inside the uterus.
Aberrations in the chromosome can take place due to different reasons, some of which are:
- The poor quality of egg or sperm
- Hereditary abnormalities passed on to the developing baby through the father or mother.
- Abnormal division of cells in the developing baby
- Certain infections such as syphilis
- Poor nutrition and vitamin deficiencies such as folic acid
- Untreated systematic sickness such as thyroid disease or diabetes
- Problems with the placenta
- Abuse of alcohol, tobacco or drugs
- Implantation of the embryo outside the uterus
- Abnormalities in the hormonal levels
- Inadequate lining of the uterus
- Progesterone deficiencies
- Luteal stage defect
- Blighted ovum: if the pregnancy develops for several weeks, a sac is formed but without an embryo.
Indications Of a Chemical Pregnancy
In the first few weeks of pregnancy, most women do not know they are pregnant as there are not really regular indications of pregnancy. Subsequently, most ladies are not capable of realizing if and when they do encounter chemical pregnancy. Just in the event that you are attempting to get pregnant or have been tracking your ovulation, you might have the capacity to recognize the symptoms that indicates a chemical pregnancy. These symptoms stated below are probably the well known symptoms of chemical pregnancy you can keep an eye on.
- A very light period especially when you usually have heavy ones.
- Delayed period especially when you usually start your period early.
- Bleeding through the vagina.
- Tissue or clot like materials coming out of the vagina.
- Pain in your stomach.
- Reduced HCG levels in your blood.
How Is Chemical Pregnancy Diagnosed?
If you have experienced the signs and symptoms stated above, you might need to confirm the diagnosis. Your specialist will run some HCG hormone tests that will test out the increase or decrease in your HCG levels.
An increase will imply a normal pregnancy while a decline would imply that a chemical pregnancy has taken place. An ultrasound will be performed to check for embryo implantation. If the heartbeat is not found and your HCG level is low, then chemical pregnancy is being affirmed.
Ovulation after Early Miscarriage
Due to the fact that chemical pregnancies occur so early in pregnancy, it does not affect a woman’s pattern. Most women will go on to have regular patterns after chemical pregnancy.
Treating or Preventing Early Miscarriage
In the event of chemical pregnancy, the elimination or abortion of the uterine contents is natural and spontaneous in most cases. On the other hand, if this does not happen your doctor will remove the excess tissues by performing the D&C (dilation and curettage) technique. This will stop bleeding and the presence of infections. It the removal is not carried out, the empty placenta might impair the health and safety of the mother.
Truth be told, it is not possible to prevent a chemical pregnancy likewise there is no particular medical treatment. If the cause of chemical pregnancy is an infection, antibiotics will do the cure.
Although, there are a few things your specialist can suggest.
- When you experience a chemical pregnancy, you may be advised to go for some tests. These tests will check if your HCG levels have come back to normal or not. Sometimes a tubal or ectopic pregnancy can likewise have the signs and manifestations of chemical pregnancy, hence, doing these tests would help.
- After identifying your health status and possible causes of the chemical pregnancy you experienced, proper treatments will be suggested and vitamin B6, B16, D or folic acid supplements might be added to your diet, taking progesterone creams and baby aspirin can keep the mother hale and hearty.
- Right now, there is no medical evidence that can affirm whether or not chemical pregnancy will have consequence on your future pregnancy. While some have issues wilt future pregnancies some will not. It is okay to cry for your lost baby for the hole in your heart, for the emptiness that fills a lifetime of memories you will never get to have, couples who experience chemical pregnancy sometimes have to go through series of emotional counseling to help them deal with the after effects of chemical pregnancy. Counseling can help couples to get over their despondency and make them more positive, lessening the anxiety they are passing through and help them conceive again.
- Avoiding radiation could also help in preventing chemical pregnancy.
Chemical Pregnancy and IVF
Couples who have infertility issues have to work extra mile to achieve their aim, one of the tools that helps to beat infertility is an intro vitro fertilization treatment (IVF). 20% of couples who opt for IVF experiences early miscarriage, though there is no scientific proof that women who conceive via IVF have higher chances of miscarriage as long as they are using fresh embryos. Chances of miscarriage are usually higher in patients using frozen embryos and older women as age affects the quality of eggs produced. Hence, older women are more susceptible to chemical pregnancy.
Some of the major causes are:
- Implantation dysfunction
- Embryo abnormalities
- Autoimmune issues
- Other issues such as infections
How soon can I try again?
Since a chemical pregnancy occurs very early after conception, there is often a small effect on a woman’s body. If the woman does not know that she is pregnant, she will simply think that her menstrual period is heavier than usual and a bit late than usual. Bleeding after a chemical pregnancy can be quite light and recovery is very quick. Your doctor may feel it us fine to go ahead and try to get pregnant immediately whereas other doctors might hold on to the idea that waiting is better.
Risk factors Involved in early miscarriage
- Multiple pregnancies: pregnancies with more than one fetus are at higher chances of miscarriage. The risk increases with the number of fetus in the pregnancy.
- Exercise: with the exception of swimming, most types of exercises come with a high risk of miscarriage before 18 weeks.
- Caffeine: high intake of caffeine increases the chances of an early miscarriage. Light intake of caffeine won’t have an effect on the pregnancy.
- Sexual intercourse during the first three months of pregnancy has been presumed by doctors to be a cause of miscarriage.
- The use of cocaine during pregnancy increases the chances of chemical pregnancy
- Antidepressant drugs
Dealing with This Issue
Emotionally, the responses differ. There is usually no grief if there was no prior knowledge. The feelings attached to a chemical pregnancy are valid and personal. There are no supposed rules about how you are to feel after a miscarriage, if the feelings are very intense it is advisable to wait for a little while before getting pregnant to avoid the thoughts of an early loss.
Experiencing a chemical pregnancy can be quite devastating for the mother, no matter how short lived the pregnancy was. However, this does not imply you won’t be able to conceive anymore. Just make sure you eat right, exercise and mainly take absolute care of yourself to have all the possibilities of chemical pregnancy eliminated.