Brown Discharge In Women
Women who have a standard menstrual cycle know exactly when their period would start. Therefore, any alteration of the basic pattern could bring about apprehension and fear. If a woman experiences brown discharge at the time she’s not expecting her catamenia, it may bring about pressure.
All women experience brown discharge and some of them are considered by experts to be a norm while some are detrimental. It is however important to know the reasons behind brown discharge ahead of a period, during and in addition after it.
Brown Discharge Can Either Be Light Or Dark
Light brown: it is caused by hormonal changes, ovarian, uterine and cervical cancer, cysts, fibroid and ectopic pregnancy can also bring about light brown discharge.
Dark brown : this points out that the discharge is abdominal and not vagina. It might be due to cysts, blood clots, injury in the fallopian tube and so on.
Brown Discharge Before A Period
Typically the catamenia consists of various layers tissue which stays old blood, supplements, endometrial lining and so on. All the said layers are discharged on the whole as menstrual bleeding. From time to time, just the layer of supplements is discharged sooner than the consistent monthly cycle- this is the rationale behind brown discharge before period.
Issues can happen during the menstrual cycle when the endometrial cells are not totally expelled. The matured endometrial cells can be released from the uterus in the subsequent period and usually come out as a brown discharge before period. In the event that, the reason for the discharge is endometrial cells changing from red to brown due to the proposed elimination, then you don’t need to be worried.
Women and girls may experience brown discharge before period.
This can be due to :
- Contraceptive pills
The use of contraceptive pills interferes with the female hormones and alters common menstrual cycle in females. Contraceptive pills guarantee the preventive outcomes by modifying the levels of hormone required in pregnancy and feminine cycle. Changed hormonal levels can be a reason for brown discharge before period and also on the off chance that you don’t take your dose on a regular basis.
Implantation bleeding can be likewise called implantation brown spotting, it is one of the early signs of pregnancy. It is an indication that the embryo has been established in the endometrial lining of the womb. In the meantime, as the embryo tunnels itself into the uterus lining, the lining splits. The implantation process is usually associated with placid endometrial bleeding thereby leading to implantation spotting that is either pink or brown. This spotting is exceptionally mellow and lasts for about two to three days.
- Menopause/perimenopause : during the initial stage of perimenopause, periods can frequently be replaced by bouts of brown discharge as the levels of progesterone begins to drop, thereby leading to progesterone deficiency in which women experiences shortened menstrual cycle length. Abnormal bleeding may occur as the period begins to decline.
- Endometriosis :
Endometrium is a mucus membrane that strains and thickens the uterus for a fertilized egg to interface itself to this lining. If pregnancy doesn’t occur, this lining breaks down and tossed out within the form of menstrual blood. These endometrial tissues have different layers and are totally shed all through the feminine cycle.
Parts of the uterine lining might not shed completely, due to this a woman would experience brown discharge ahead of the next period.
- Cervical cancer :
In a great degree of uncommon instances, brown discharge might be an indication of cervical malignancy. That said, brown discharge without any doctor’s affirmation is insufficient to guarantee this worry. Thus, a regular visit to the doctor from time to time should be considered, which includes a pap smear and pelvic examination to probe cervical malignancy at its early stages.
- Ovulation :
Ovulation spotting can be an indication that you are fertile and ovulating in a normal way.
Some women notice brown discharge amid ovulation, this occurs as a result of the egg leaving the follicle or evolving hormone levels around the time of ovulation, since blood has the tendency to obscure in shading as it leaves the uterus and goes out of the body, a brown discharge might be nothing critical than old blood leaving the womb and blending with typical vagina discharge.
SEE ALSO :
- Dollar Store Pregnancy Test – Is It Worth Trying?
- Do Pregnancy Test Expire?
- Bleach Pregnancy Test – Everything In Details
- One Step Pregnancy Test – How Does It Work?
Brown Discharge During A Period
During your period, particularly towards the end, you might get to see brown blood instead of the red you are used to. This is just endometrial tissue being expelled.
This could be caused by myriads of things such as:
- Residual blood : women menstruating get to see brown discharge when the old blood is released from the body. If there is residual blood from your past period then you may get brown discharge towards the beginning of your flow. The old blood that is not released would be removed bit by bit from your body towards the end.
- Infection : a brown discharge could also be as a result of an infection. In most circumstances, this is true when the discharge is accompanied by other unusual type such as blood clotting and symptoms like bloating or abdominal pain. It could also be that you have polyp which is a tissue growth that can develop on any mucus membrane such as uterus or cervical canal.
- Brown discharge during your period can be a sign that you are not getting enough of essential vitamins and minerals. Health specialists have long realized that blood needs to be fuelled with certain supplements such as calcium and iron in order to effectively process oxygen. When the blood gets all the oxygen it needs, it gives that bright red color we are acquainted with. In the event that the blood is not getting an ideal measure of oxygen, it will take on a brown color, much like the dark discharge you are getting during your period.
Brown Discharge After A Period
A brown discharge from the vagina after a period is not always aberrant especially if there are no associated symptoms. The vagina is lined by several glands which secrete mucus to keep the vagina moist and lubricated. This is also a part of natural cleaning of the vagina where secretions wash away all dirt and germs from the vagina to the outside.
Causes of brown vagina discharge after period
- Delayed period : a delayed period can bring about brown discharge after a menstrual period. This occurs as a result of the endometrial lining of the uterus being shed. It is a cleaning process of old blood and tissue out of the uterus. There is absolutely nothing to worry about except the flow gets heavy and lasts for several days, then you should consult a doctor.
- Repeated yeast infection : the most exceedingly awful sort of yeast infection is usually accompanied with pain, aggravation, burning and brown discharge. Few of the infections will vary in smell and color. You will realize that there is an infection due to the foul scent accompanying the discharge.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease : this is a malady that affects the uterus, ovaries or fallopian tubes. Many women develop this malady due to a wide range of sexually transmitted diseases such as vagina warts, gonorrhea, chlamydia and so on. Anomalous hued and foul smelling discharge, pain during sex, pain and tenderness in the lower midriff should be examined by a doctor.
- Menopause : the early stage of menopause can bring about brown discharge after the period. This is a transitional stage that happens between an active menopause stage and prolific years. If the discharge isn’t heavy and you are not having cramps more than usual, then there is no need to worry.
- Stress : too much of stress can cause an interruption in the menstrual cycle thereby interfering with your fertility. You will begin to experience fluctuations in your cycle alongside with severe menstrual cramps and spotting. If you’ve been under a lot of stress and experiencing the things mentioned earlier, it’s high time you practiced some relaxation techniques.
- Sudden weight loss : hormone levels can be altered because of sudden weight loss. This adjustment can bring about a brown discharge.
Brown discharge could also be as a result of blood getting mixed with discharge after sex. Some mild trauma might have occurred inside which caused bleeding. The blood dries up to give a brown color.
The anticipation of brown discharge is conceivable in some cases and incomprehensible in others. You cannot prevent brown discharge brought about by natural factors such as pregnancy, menopause, and ovulation,
In the event that you are having a brown discharge on a persistent and intermittent basis, do not disregard. Instead visit the doctor and when experiencing associated symptoms like:
- Pain in the vagina or during intercourse.
- Tingling or burning in the genitals.
- Sticky discharge.
- Swelling of the vagina and nearby areas.
- Foul odor.
Treatment would be based on the underlying causes of the brown discharge. If it is an infection, antibiotics may be prescribed.